Find Your Roots... with a Little Help from the Library!The Library encourages you to begin your genealogical research, and to learn all you can about your family names. There are many resources available at the Library to help you in your search. These resources include the following:
- The Record News on microform from 1887 to present
- Current Ontario telephone directories
- Index to inscriptions for several Lanark County cemeteries as well as headstone transcriptions [ Download Quick File ]
- Family histories [ Download Quick File ]
- Collection of clippings from the local paper organized by year and subject.
- Local history collection
- Public Internet access available at the Library
- Ancestry Library Database: Visit the library to access one of the most important genealogical collections available today!
Ancestry Library has unparalleled coverage of the United States and the United Kingdom, including census, vital, church, court, and immigration records, as well as record collections from Canada and other areas.
Please Note: You must be inside the library to access this database.
- Early Canadiana Online: Early Canadiana Online (ECO) is a digital library providing access to 2,838,778 pages of Canada's printed heritage. It features works published from the time of the first European settlers up to the early 20th Century. ECO is produced by Canadiana.org, a nonprofit organization for preserving and providing access to early Canadian publications, first on microfiche and now online.
Related Resources & Internet Links
- Part of the "Eastern Ontario" map
Showing counties of Lanark, Leeds, Grenville, Dundas and parts of Frontenac and Carleton.
- Smiths Falls Voters' List, 1933
Dated 18th February, 1933. Transcribed from the original in the Algonquin College Library, Perth.
- Field of Stones
Info and photos of Abandoned and Pioneer Cemeteries in Ontario.
- Emigration From Cork Ireland to Upper Canada, 1823
The first Peter Robinson settlers from North Cork Ireland to the Bathurst District Upper Canada in 1823. Includes ships lists of "Stakesby" and "Hebe".
- Peter Robinson Irish Emigration to Peterborough
In 1822 Peter Robinson of York (Toronto) was asked to manage an experimental emigration plan. He promoted the scheme in southern Ireland and some 50,000 people applied to start new lives in Upper Canada.
- Ireland Roots
If you are looking for your Irish Roots you have come to the right place. Visit the free Irish Roots message board.
- Canadian County Atlas Digital Project
Searchable database of the property owners names which appear on the township maps in the county atlases.
- Kingston Roots Directory of Websites
Discover your Kingston, Ontario Heritage, with bookmarked subjects including Kingston genealogy, history, historic pictures, Kingston area family pages, and more.
- Eastern Ontario Mailing List
A 'no-cost' email based forum for subscribers to discuss aspects of the history, geography and genealogy of the eastern area of the Province of Ontario, Canada.
- Grenville County Historical Society
Information about this society and its publications for sale.
- Osgoode Township Historical Society and Museum
Over 100 publications for sale. These all relate to the history of the Township of Osgoode. Includes many pioneer families as well as a list of unpublished family histories available for research at the museum.
- Perth County Branch, OGS
Information on upcoming meetings, and publications list.
- The Leeds & Grenville Genealogical Society
One of the larger Branches of the Ontario Genealogical Society.
- Arnprior & McNab/Braeside Archives
Mandate is to acquire, preserve and make accessible important historical documents relating to local region. Township of McNab-Braeside Located in the lower level of the Arnprior Public Library, the Archives is open Monday - Friday from 1 pm - 3:30 pm or by appointment. And on Saturdays by appointment only.
- Canadian Genealogy and History
A listing of Genealogical and Historical Web sites from East to Western Sea.
This Project is a NOT a research service. OntarioGenWeb volunteers and hosts are here to provide information on the web to help you help yourself trace your family tree. OntarioGenWeb specializes in the how and where - how to research Ontario and where to find research resources.
- Ontario Family Search
This site gives helpful tips on how to research the events of birth, marriage, or death of ancestors in Ontario.
- Library and Archives Canada
Canada's national collection of books, historical documents, government records, photos, films, maps, music, and more.
- The Lanark County Genealogical Society
Mandate is to assist members in researching family histories and in the gathering, recording and preserving of genealogical information pertaining to Lanark County.
- Lanark County GenWeb
This site has listed the "old" townships, shown with their "new" municipal areas. The site has Query pages where you can search surnames.
- Automated Genealogy
Hosts several projects to index Canadian censuses.
- Family Search
The largest collection of free family history, family tree and genealogy records in the world. Search for ancestors, share information, family history library, family history centers.
- Paper of Record
Global pioneer of searchable newspaper image documents presented in their original published form.
- Archives of Ontario
If you're just getting started researching your family history you should definitely begin with this indepth Government of Ontario site which will teach and guide you through your search.
- Ontario Genealogical Society
Promotes genealogical research, sets standards for genealogical excellence by encouragement and instruction in effective research methods, makes available to those whose ancestors are from Ontario, the knowledge, diversity and comprehensiveness of the genealogical resources in Ontario and shares expertise in other geographic areas.
- Canadian Genealogy Centre:
The Centre includes all physical and online genealogical services of Library and Archives Canada. It offers genealogical content, services, advice, research tools and opportunities to work on joint projects, all in both official languages.
- Leeds and Grenville GenWeb:
Genealogical Resources Portal with many related links.
- Cyndi's List
Your genealogy starting point online for more than a decade!
- Census Finder
Locating free census records online can present a challenge. With a bit of patience, you will find thousands of census links to free census transcriptions, census indexes and census images in categorized directories on this site.
- The Ships List
This site will help you find your ancestors on ships' passenger lists. Find immigration reports, newspaper records, shipwreck information, ship pictures, ship descriptions, shipping-line fleet lists and more; as well as hundreds of passenger lists to Canada, USA, Australia and even some for South Africa.