The Summer Tutoring Program is a one-on-one tutoring program for children needing extra assistance with reading skills. The library offers two free programs based on the child’s current grade level.
Fun with ABC’s (Kindergarten)
- designed for children currently in Kindergarten who are struggling with letter names and sounds (preference is given to Seniors)
- during the 2-week session, the Jolly Phonics program is followed and is complemented with daily reading and literacy games
- children work with their tutor to produce a letter/sounds book by the completion of the program
Reading Rocks (Grades 1-5)
- designed for children currently in Grades 1 through 5 and are struggling to meet grade expectations in reading
- tutors follow the Reading Reflex program to reinforce reading skills and supplement the program with daily reading and literacy-based activities
How it Works:
- Parents can fill out the form and questionnaire online, or request a paper form from the library.
- Children are selected for the program based on their individual needs and availability to complete the 2-week program. Please note that completing an application does not guarantee a spot in the program.
- Children must have a Smiths Falls Public Library card (monthly memberships are available)
- Tutors meet with their assigned child for 1 hour per day, for 10 days
- 3 or 4 two-week tutoring sessions are held during July and August