The library is currently closed to the public. All in person services, events, and programs have been cancelled or moved online. For more information or to place an order for curbside pickup, call us at 613-283-2911, or email us at [email protected]
The Summer Tutoring Program is a one-on-one tutoring program for children needing extra assistance with reading skills.
How it Works:
- flyers with information about the tutoring programs are distributed through the schools
- parents must visit the Smiths Falls Public Library to complete a registration form and questionnaire
- children are selected for the program based on their individual needs and availability to complete the 2-week program. Please note that completing an application does not guarantee a spot in the program.
- children need to have a Smiths Falls Library card (monthly memberships are available)
- tutors meet with their assigned child for 1 hour per day, for 10 days
- 3 or 4 two-week tutoring sessions are held during July and August
Fun with ABC’s
- designed for children who are currently in Kindergarten who are struggling with letter names and sounds (preference is given to Seniors)
- during the 2-week session, the Jolly Phonics program is followed and is complemented with daily reading and literacy games
- children work with their tutor to produce a letter/sounds book by the completion of the program
- designed for children who are currently in Grades 1 through 5 and are struggling to meet grade expectations in reading
- tutors follow the Reading Reflex program to reinforce reading skills and supplement the program with daily reading and literacy-based activities