Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get a library card?
- The SFPL card is free for Smiths Falls residents and residents of the Township of Montague. To get your card, bring a proof of address and photo id to the library. If you’re 15 years of age or younger your parent’s signature is required. Bring your card each time you visit the Library!
How do I book a library computer?
- You can Book a Library computer to surf the Internet or use word-processing software. We have filtered stations for children in each branch, and some branches have stations equipped with Zoomtext, a text-enlarging feature. There is no cost for using the computers in the Library but there is a fee for printing. Telephone, email or visit in person to book your session.
How do I change my personal information?
- You can change your address, phone number and e-mail by visiting the library. To change your address, it is Library policy that you present proof showing the new address to staff on your next visit to your local branch. A utility bill or bank statement in your name that shows your current address may be used as proof of residence.
How do I contact the library?
How do I get help finding information?
- Ask a Librarian: Our expert information and reference staff is available to track down the information you need. Talk to us when you need homework help or pointers for your research project, small business venture or hobby. You can call us, send an e-mail, visit in person.
- Use the Catalogue: Our catalogue is your tool to find the library material you’re looking for. The catalogue contains fiction and non-fiction books, audiobooks, videos, DVDs and CDs..
How do I pay fines?
- Fines can be paid at the branch or the bookmobile by cash or cheque. Fines must be paid in full to renew your card. Long overdue accounts may be subject to Recovery Agency actions and additional charges levied. Outstanding recovery accounts must be paid in full to reinstate your borrowing privileges.
How do I renew my card?
- Cards expire one year after the date of issue or renewal. You can renew your card at the branch or the bookmobile by showing your library card and paying off any outstanding charges. If you have moved you are required to show proof of your new address. Bring your card each time you visit the Library!
How do I support SFPL?
- The Friends of the Smiths Falls Public Library is an organization that helps support the SFPL. Friends groups raise funds for special equipment or capital funds, facilitate new programs, advocate for improved library services, promote the library in their community and enjoy social programs. Members of the Friends are volunteers who pay a small membership fee. They assist in providing basic library resources from books to enhanced computer access for the public. Friends provide volunteer assistance at special program and community events and they take part in lobbying and advocacy activities. Click here for more information about our friends »