TD Summer Reading Club
Registration for the TD Summer Reading Club is now open!
Visit https://www.tdsummerreadingclub.ca/ or call the library at 613-283-2911 to register. Your child will be able to track their summer reading and receive a bag of free stuff (while supplies last) including their reading club booklet. They will also have a chance to win fun prizes!
The TD Summer Reading Club is Canada's biggest, bilingual summer reading program for kids of all ages, interests, and abilities. This free program is delivered by more than 2,000 public libraries across Canada. It celebrates Canadian authors, illustrators, and stories.
Participants explore recommended reads; track their own reading; connect and share with others across the country; read books online; join in activities; collect reading incentives; write jokes, stories and book reviews, and more. There are great resources for kids with print disabilities as well as for pre-readers and their families.
Children's Summer Activities Calendar
Summer Tutoring Program
The Summer Tutoring Program is a one-on-one tutoring program for children needing extra assistance with reading skills.
How it Works:
- flyers with information about the tutoring programs are distributed through the schools
- parents must visit the Smiths Falls Public Library to complete a registration form and questionnaire
- children are selected for the program based on their individual needs and availability to complete the 2-week program. Please note that completing an application does not guarantee a spot in the program.
- children need to have a Smiths Falls Public Library card (monthly memberships are available)
- tutors meet with their assigned child for 1 hour per day, for 10 days
- 3 or 4 two-week tutoring sessions are held during July and August
Fun with ABC’s
- designed for children who are currently in Kindergarten who are struggling with letter names and sounds (preference is given to Seniors)
- during the 2-week session, the Jolly Phonics program is followed and is complemented with daily reading and literacy games
- children work with their tutor to produce a letter/sounds book by the completion of the program
- designed for children who are currently in Grades 1 through 5 and are struggling to meet grade expectations in reading
- tutors follow the Reading Reflex program to reinforce reading skills and supplement the program with daily reading and literacy-based activities