Genealogy and Local History
The views and opinions expressed on the websites below do not necessarily reflect the position or official policies of the Smiths Falls Public Library. The library and its web developers cannot be held liable or responsible for the content of these links or where they are hosted.
Find Your Roots With a Little Help From the Library!
Begin your genealogical research and learn all you can about your family names. There are many resources available at the library to help you in your search. These resources include:
- The Rideau Record/Record News on microform from 1887 to 2003
- Index to inscriptions for several Lanark County cemeteries as well as headstone transcriptions
- Family histories
- Collection of clippings from the local paper organized by year and subject.
- Local history collection
- “Lest We Forget ” Newspaper articles on First World War soldiers from our community. This research was done by local high school students.
- Patrick Wohler’s newspaper columns – “Family history” and “The Family Historian”. Great how-to information.
A Smiths Falls Public Library card provides you with access to several online resources and databases. To see a full list of all the digital resources we offer, please visit our Databases and Research page.
- Ancestry Library Database: Visit the library to access one of the most important genealogical collections available today!
Ancestry Library has unparalleled coverage of the United States and the United Kingdom, including census, vital, church, court, and immigration records, as well as record collections from Canada and other areas.
Please Note: You must be inside the library to access this database.
- Canadiana Online: Canadiana Online is a digitized collection of newspapers, periodicals, government documents and more about Canada from European contact to the early 20th century.
- Digital Archive Ontario: Explore all digitized items held by Toronto Public Library—including over 100,000 historical photos, maps, postcards & more from Ontario.
Resources of Local Interest
- Smiths Falls Digital Archive: Visit the digital archives at the Smiths Falls Public Library and explore the history, culture and online exhibits of Smiths Falls and Montague Township. We invite you to upload your own photos of Smiths Falls and area.
- Hillcrest Cemetery Database
- Smiths Falls Voters’ List, 1933: Dated 18th February, 1933. Transcribed from the original in the Algonquin College Library, Perth.
- The Lanark County Genealogical Society: Mandate is to assist members in researching family histories and in the gathering, recording and preserving of genealogical information pertaining to Lanark County.
- Canadian County Atlas Digital Project: Searchable database of the property owners names which appear on the township maps in the county atlases.
- The Leeds & Grenville Branch of Ontario Genealogical Society: One of the larger Branches of the Ontario Genealogical Society.
- Ontario GenWeb: Genealogical Resources Portal with many related links.
- FamilySearch: The largest collection of free family history, family tree and genealogy records in the world. Search for ancestors, share information, family history library, family history centers.
- Archives of Ontario: If you’re just getting started researching your family history you should definitely begin with this indepth Government of Ontario site which will teach and guide you through your search.
- Genealogy & Family History- Library & Archives Canada: The Centre includes all physical and online genealogical services of Library and Archives Canada. It offers genealogical content, services, advice, research tools and opportunities to work on joint projects, all in both official languages.