Find Your Roots… with a Little Help from the Library!
Begin your genealogical research, and learn all you can about your family names. There are many resources available at the Library to help you in your search. These resources include the following:
- The Rideau Record/Record News on microform from 1887 to 2003
- Index to inscriptions for several Lanark County cemeteries as well as headstone transcriptions
- Family histories
- Collection of clippings from the local paper organized by year and subject.
- Local history collection
- “Lest We Forget ” Newspaper articles on First World War soldiers from our community. This research was done by local high school students.
- Patrick Wohler’s newspaper columns – “Family history” and “The Family Historian”. Great how-to information.
- Ancestry Library Database: Visit the library to access one of the most important genealogical collections available today!
Ancestry Library has unparalleled coverage of the United States and the United Kingdom, including census, vital, church, court, and immigration records, as well as record collections from Canada and other areas.
Please Note: You must be inside the library to access this database.
- Early Canadiana Online: Early Canadiana Online (ECO) is a digital library providing access to 2,838,778 pages of Canada’s printed heritage. It features works published from the time of the first European settlers up to the early 20th Century. ECO is produced by Canadiana.org, a nonprofit organization for preserving and providing access to early Canadian publications, first on microfiche and now online.
Resource of Local Interest
- Hillcrest Cemetery Database
- Cemetery Archives
- Smiths Falls Voters’ List, 1933 Dated 18th February, 1933. Transcribed from the original in the Algonquin College Library, Perth.
- The Lanark County Genealogical Society Mandate is to assist members in researching family histories and in the gathering, recording and preserving of genealogical information pertaining to Lanark County.
- Canadian County Atlas Digital Project Searchable database of the property owners names which appear on the township maps in the county atlases.
- The Leeds & Grenville Branch of Ontario Genealogical Society
One of the larger Branches of the Ontario Genealogical Society.
- Ontario GenWeb Genealogical Resources Portal with many related links.
- FamilySearch The largest collection of free family history, family tree and genealogy records in the world. Search for ancestors, share information, family history library, family history centers.
- Archives of Ontario If you’re just getting started researching your family history you should definitely begin with this indepth Government of Ontario site which will teach and guide you through your search.
- Genealogy & Family History- Library & Archives Canada The Centre includes all physical and online genealogical services of Library and Archives Canada. It offers genealogical content, services, advice, research tools and opportunities to work on joint projects, all in both official languages.
- Ancestors Search – Library & Archives Canada